7.30.2011

My Creative Friend | Sandy

My creative friend Sandy is a Cape Codder who happened upon my booth at a craft fair last year, and we've stayed connected by following each other's blogs ever since.  Sandy documents her creations through her blog The Old Bag - she quilts, she knits, and finds crafty ways to transform antique treasures.


Sandy at Waterfire



What does art making mean to you? 
I grew up in a creative home with both of my parents being very artistic people.  For me it's such an important part of who I am and what I love to do.  The art of creating and getting such self satisfaction from being able to make it yourself or your interpretation of someone else's idea.  Hopefully I passed the creative passion along to my daughter by showing her the how much gratification can come from being creative.  




How do you make time for your creative practice? 
Some days it's easier than others.  Creating is a form of relaxation for me so I will squeeze it in just about every day.  It could be only for 15 minutes or a couple of hours. One project I almost always have going is knitting a pair of socks.  It's an easy travel project and something you can work on almost anywhere.  Basically I will take whatever time I can find to either work on a project or to sometimes just spend time in my craft room.  


When you work, do you love the process or the result? Why?
I am learning to love the process.  In the past I have an idea and can't wait to finish so I can move onto the next. I realized I was missing out on such a great experience by being so impatient.  This is still in the works, but I am trying to enjoy the whole experience.  As I learn to do this especially in quilting I find that I am more relaxed and more precise in my technique.  Also I am finding a lot more satisfaction in the finished project by enjoying the process more.

Where do you get your support?
My family and friends are a tremendous source of support and encouragement.  My husband is always willing to help out with ideas or making something to help me with one of my crazy ideas. 



Have you ever been in a creative rut?  How did you get out?
Absolutely!  Going thru some pattern books, magazines or even browsing online till that project just jumps out at you and you can't wait to pick up the knitting needles, sewing machine or whatever to begin the next project.  Sometimes just going to local quilt shop is so inspiring to view the quilts other's have done. I'll stop in and see what's in the works, talk the women that work there and that will usually get the ideas jumping around in my head. Whatever it takes to get the ball rolling again.

Thanks for sharing, Sandy!  Keep up with all of Sandy's projects by following her blog, The Old Bag.

Photobucket

**My Creative Friend is a series of blog posts featuring the creative practices of creative women in my life, (usually) posted on the last weekend of each month. By sharing our processes, my hope is that we can all learn, grow, and be inspired in our own work. If you're interested in being featured, please contact me!**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails