12.02.2009

How To: Tea Wreath & Garland

As soon as September hits and it's not 1,000 degrees outside, I start drinking lots and lots of hot, delicious tea. With my obsession with garbage, I just can't help but be mesmerized by the colorful packets that they come in, and those darling little colorful tabs at the end of the strings.

Tea Packet Wreath

Steffi inspired this project - when she and Elliott were working at Starbucks last year, she made an enormous wreath from only the Zen (green) packets to hang in the store. I've been saving my tea waste for many months (especially Zen, Awake, Red Bush, and Refresh!) to recreate her design on a smaller, door-sized scale.

You will need:
A wire wreath
Floral wire
Wire cutters
Lots of tea packets in red & green (or any color you'd like!). I used 42-ish in total.

Start with two packets.

Cut a piece of wire about 2 inches long.

Poke the wire through one packet from back to front.

Then poke it only through the back layer of packet #2 - in and then out.

Position it on your wreath.

Wrap the wire over the wreath and twist to make it stay.

Rinse and repeat.

Whenever you decide it's full enough, tah-dah! You're done! Hang on your door for all of your neighbors to admire.


Tea Tab Garland

You will need:
Tea tabs in red & green
Yarn
A big needle

Thread your needle with the yarn, and string on your tabs.

Spread the tabs out evenly and enjoy your colorful and resourceful garland!


Just a peek at my other holiday decor...

Strip pieced stockings that I made for Ian & I. So much work, but hopefully these will be with us for a very long time.

My darling little tree decorated with spools of thread and a scrap of fabric Linus-style.

I'm sure starting to feel festive!

Carole Ann

3 comments:

  1. I love how your stockings came out! And as a fellow tea-drinker, I of course love the wreath...maybe I'll have to start saving teabags too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog when I was researching craft show displays. I love this idea! My boyfriend's mentor saves the teabags herself and has made lots of things including a vest, book covers, and more from the bags themselves. I'll have to show her this for the rest of the parts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those sound like cool projects Moira. Do you have any photos. I drink SO much tea, and I have a box of tea tabs just waiting for the next great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails